If you encounter problems while using DHCP (auto IP obtaining) on Android you might need to manually set a static IP-address. You may also decide to assign a static address to your Android phone if you want to use a specific IP on a Wi-Fi network but don’t want to set up the IP reservation on your access point or if you don’t have access to the router settings. You can easily revert the network setting to its default state at any time and continue using DHCP. Here is how to set a static IP-address on an Android phone or tablet running Android 4 to 9 version.
Set a Static IP-Address on Android 8
- Pull down the shade.
- Touch and hold on the Wi-Fi toggle to open its settings:
- Connect to the wireless network you want to set a static IP-address for.
- Long tap on your Wi-Fi network name.
- Select Modify network:
- Tap the arrow to show the Advanced options.
- In IP settings select Static.
- Specify IP-address for this Android device. You should use a free IP from the range. For example, 192.168.0.150.
- Type the gateway address.
- Specify the primary DNS (for example, Google DNS)
- Click Save:
In Android 9 Pineapple you should tap the network name in the list (no long tap available), then select the pencil icon to modify its profile:
The remaining steps are equal.
A static IP-address assignment on Android 4.2.2
1. Pull down the status bar.
2. Press and hold the Wi-Fi icon in the quick panel:
3. Perform the long press on your network name:
4. Tap on Modify network config:
5. Set the checkbox Show advanced options:
6. In advanced options area:
- Select Static in IP settings drop-down menu .
- Specify the desired address in IP address field .
- Tap the Save button to apply new settings:
Do not forget to specify the Gateway IP address when using a static IP settings. Otherwise you won’t have the Internet connection on your Android!
How to switch back to automatic IP address obtaining
If you wish to obtain an IP-address automatically again perform the following actions:
Go to network config again:
Make sure the checkbox Show advanced options is set.
Select DHCP in IP settings drop down menu.
After that your device will reconnect to the network and obtain the IP from DHCP server.