Folks on Internet often ask how to rename the profile folder in C:\Users. If you are using thge Microsoft account the folder name is usually shortened in a random way and very often looks weird. For instance for the user Tunecomp.net we have the path C:\Users\Tunec\. So let’s see how to change the name of this folder in Windows 10 Pro and Home.
How to rename the user account profile folder in Windows 10
This method works with any edition of Windows 10: Home, Pro or Enterprise but can cause damage to your system.
Make sure to create a full system backup before your try this method!
1. Ensure that you have another admin account. If you do not have such you can temporarily activate the built-in user called Administrator:
net user administrator /active:yes
Note, that if you have non-English version of Windows 10, your Administrator account name will differ. For example, in French version the built-in administrative account has the username “Administrateur”, in Spanish – “Administrador”. Thus, you should specify your exact username otherwise you will get the error “The user name could not be found“! To find out the correct user name type net user in the command line window and hit Enter.
2. Sign out or reboot your PC:
3. Log in to another account:
4. Go to the Users folder (C:\Users by default) and rename the profile folder to whatever you like:
5. Launch the registry editor:
Find the key related to the account the profile of which you have just renamed, find the ProfileImagePath value and rename the path in it to the new one:
6. An extra step. Perform it if you encounter errors after you changed the path to your profile. Search the registry for ‘old account name’. If you find the values with the old path change it the the new one. Hit “F3” in the registry editor until you correct all entries containing the old path.