By default Google Chrome sets your operating system’s locale as its user interface (UI) language. But due to various reasons you may want to change the UI language in your Chrome. For example, your native language differs from your OS locale and you prefer to switch or the locale was detected incorrectly. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to add another language to Chrome and make the browser to display in it.
How to change the UI language in Google Chrome
In our example we will show how to switch your Chrome from English to German.
- Click the Menu icon.
- Select “Settings”:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click on the “Show advanced Settings” link:
- Click on the “Language and input settings” button:
- Click “Add” if the desired language is not listed:
- Select the language which you would like to add from the list:
- Highlight the added language by a left click of your mouse.
- Click “Display Chrome in this language”:
- Now restart your Chrome browser for this change to take effect.
How to switch Chrome UI language from German back to English
- Click on the Menu icon.
- Select “Einstellungen”.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Erweiterte Einstellungen anzeigen”.
- Click on “Sprach- und Eingabeeinstellungen…”
- Select “Englisch (Vereinigte Staaten)” in the left pane.
- Click on the “Google Chrome in dieser Sprache anzeigen” button in the right pane: Done!