As you might know, nearly a half of all incoming calls are spam nowadays. Telemarketers use various tricks to get to you: sometimes they change the phone number to a local one, another time they try to hide the number to make you curious about who is calling you from private number and answer. The only goal, as a rule, is to sell you some product or service. In most cases it is reasonable to block anonymous callers, especially on your child’s mobile phone. In the latter case, you should do your best to protect children from the threats and evil jokes that often come from unidentified callers. First of all, you should always remember one simple thing: if you get an incoming call and the number is hidden, the callers have certain reasons to stay anonymous. Personally I never answer calls with “No caller ID” and try to block them if my current phone gives me such an option.
Here is our step-by-step guide on how to block annoying calls from unknown phone numbers on Android. Below you will find detailed guides on how to do this on various devices running different versions and ROMs including stock Android, OneUI, OxygenOS, EMUI, MIUI, etc.
Variety in Naming
On different phones and even models you can see different naming of hidden numbers: “unknown”, “private”, “hidden”, “restricted”, “withheld”, “no caller id”. But they mean the same thing: the caller is trying to stay anonymous by not disclosing their phone number.
[Quick Navigation] How to block private and unknown numbers on:
Unfortunately, not all phone models are capable of blocking the calls from restricted numbers out of the box. It’s quite a nonsense when you can add a certain number to your black list but can’t do that for private numbers. So, in some cases you will have to install a third-party call manager to do that.
Finally Google added great options allowing to get rid of Private and Hidden phone numbers in Google Contacts. Here is how you can ban unwanted callers on pure Android. Screenshots taken on Google Pixel running Android 10.
- Swipe up to open the app drawer.
- Open Contacts (not Phone).
- Tap the menu sandwich icon on the upper left.
- Select Settings:
- Scroll down and find Blocked numbers at the very bottom:
- Here you can choose which type of callers to block:
– Numbers not in Contacts
– Pay phone
Select categories of callers you wish to ban on your phone. From now on such incoming calls will be immediately rejected.
As far as I remember, I did not have such options to ban hidden numbers on Android 9 on the same device (Google Pixel 2016) until I installed Android Q Beta despite the same Google Contacts app version. If you know more, tell us in the comments.
- Launch the Phone app:
- Tap the dots icon on the upper right and select Settings:
- Here select Block numbers:
- Activate the option Block unknown callers:
From now on all calls from “private” and “unknown” numbers will be automatically rejected.
Follow the steps:
- Open the Phone app as usual:
- Open the dialer:
- Here tap the dots icon on the right and select Blocked:
- Select Blocked rules at the bottom of the screen:
- Tap on Call block rules:
- Activate the option Block unknown/hidden numbers:
Unfortunately, there is no option to block unidentified callers in the Phone / Contacts app on OnePlus phones. That’s why we advise to install the Contacts app by Google to make your phone auto reject all anonymous incoming calls. Check our step-by-step guide for details.
Here is how to do it in MIUI 10/11:
- Launch the Phone app:
- Go to Recents.
- Here open the dialer:
- Open the menu:
- Head to Blocklist:
- Here make sure the Blocklist option is activated:
- Then go to Blocked numbers:
- Here activate the option Block calls from hidden numbers:
Blocking unknown calls on Meizu phones is pretty similar. However, Flyme OS has a lot of options when it comes to filtering incoming calls. Do the following:
- First you need to open the phone app.
- No matter whether you are currently on the “Dialer” or “Contacts” tab, tap the three-dot icon on the upper right and select Settings:
- Here select Blocklist:
- Now tap the cog icon:
- Dive into the Call filtering settings:
- And finally toggle on the Block unknown numbers option:
Here is how to block calls from private numbers on Vivo smartphones:
- Go to Settings.
- Dive into Security & Privacy:
- Go to Block unwanted:
- Here enable the Block unknown/null incoming call numbers option: Done! From now on all restricted numbers will be rejected!
Samsung Galaxy with Android 4.4.2
Go to Settings:
Select My device and tap on Call category:
Choose Call rejection:
Check that the black list function is enabled. (The Auto reject numbers should be chosen in Auto reject mode setting).
Then enter the Auto reject list setting:
Check the flag Unknown to add all unknown callers to black list:
Henceforth, all incoming calls from restricted numbers will be automatically rejected.
Article published on 13/10/2014 but is constantly updated.