App icons size has always been the popular issue on iPhone and iPad. Someone wants to fit more icons on a single home screen, another person prefers bigger icons due to their age. Tastes differ. Over the years and until today, iPhone and iPad owners have resorted to a workaround – they used the Screen Zoom option to make app icons larger. But iPadOS 13 brought us a new marvelous native feature and now you can make app icons bigger or smaller at your taste and switch between the two icons sizes when you need it.
The method was introduced on July 2019 and is applicable to iPads running iPadOS version 13 beta 5 or later.
How to Make App Icons Smaller or Larger on iPad
Follow the steps on your iPad:
- Go to Settings:
- In the right part of the Settings screen select Display and Brightness.
- In the left part scroll down to the bottom and switch to Larger icons: That’s it!
Here is how it looks in comparison:
- Bigger icons shows up to 20 larger app icons:
- Smaller icons – fits up to 30 smaller app icons on the screen:
The Old Workaround– Display Zoom
If you don’t have an iPadOS compatible device, you can use the workaround we were speaking about at the beginning of the article. The con of this method is that zooming increase everything on the screen but not only app icons.
Follow the steps to switch to zoomed view on your iPhone or iPad:
- Go to Settings.
- Dive in Display & Brightness.
- Scroll down to the Display Zoom section and tap on View:
- Select the Zoomed option and tap Set in the upper right corner of the screen:
- Confirm by tapping on Use Zoomed:
- Wait for a few seconds until the zoomed view will be applied.
Here is how it looks:
- Normal display:
- Zoomed display:
I hope, that at least one option will suit you. Tell me in the comments, which option do you prefer and why. Please, share this tutorial if you find it useful. Thank you and good luck!