Why clear Windows Update Cache?
The general answer is: when you have issues related to Windows Updates. Here are the most spread specific reasons:
- your machine cannot find available updates for a long period of time (two or three days);
- stuck “searching for updates” in Windows Update section of Settings;
- stuck “preparing to install updates” on the screen when you reboot or shutdown your system;
- you encounter errors during the installation of updates for Windows 10;
- TiWorker.exe is using your CPU for several hours and is not going to stop its activity;
- you would like to free some disk space by deleting your update cache.
How to clear Windows Update Cache in Windows 10
Step 1. Stop Windows Update (wuauserv) service
- Press Win+R.
- Type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Find Windows Update (wuauserv) and double click it.
- Click Stop.
Step 2. Delete Update cache
- Browse to:
Where C is the letter of your system drive.
- Press CTRL+A.
- Press Delete to remove all files and folders.
- Press Continue.
- Empty Recycle bin!
Step 3. Start Windows Update (wuauserv) service