Windows.old – what is it?
Windows.old stores the information about the previous installation on Windows OS. For example if you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can roll back and use your Windows 7 or 8.1. After you delete the Windows.old folder you would be unable to revert to the previous Windows version.
Why delete Windows.old?
As far as this folder contains the previous operating system it takes a lot of space on your disk – 30 or 40 GigaBytes or even more depending on how many software you had on your old Windows. . If you are sure you like your current OS and won’t need to revert to the previous version you may want to remove Windows.old to free the storage.
How to remove Windows.old folder in Windows 10
1. Right-click the system driver (in most cases Disk C:) and click Properties:
2. Click on Disk Cleanup:
3. Wait while the system is calculating the amount of the used space:
4. Now click on Clean up system files:
5. Wait again…
6. Set the checkbox Previous Windows installations and click OK:
7. Press Delete Files to remove the Windows.old folder from your disk:
Wait until the procedure is finished.
8. If the Windows/old folder is still on the disk delete it manually:
If you cannot delete the folder because it is busy read the next paragraph.
Delete Windows.old folder using the command prompt
Launch the command prompt as administrator:
Type the following commands:
cd C:\ attrib -r -a -s -h C:\Windows.old /S /D takeown /f Windows.old /a /r rd /s /q Windows.old