In general the Defender works good and it is worth using as a basic protection. It is able to protect your machine from wide variety of threats for free. But some people in definite situations wish to disable it and they should be able to do this. Here is how to turn off Windows Defender in WIndows 10.
Why turn off Windows Defender?
Possible reasons why you may want to disable Defender:
- You prefer working without any protection or you don’t like the way Windows Defender works.
- You are running Windows 10 on an old PC or on a virtual machine and you want to make it work faster.
- You want to inspect malware behavior on a test machine under Windows 10.
Note! You don’t need to turn off Windows Defender manually if you are going to install a third-party antivirus. In this case Windows Defender would be disabled automatically.
Turn off Windows Defender in Settings (not recommended)
Often people advise to turn off Windows Defender using the Settings app. Just go to the Settings and turn off Realtime and Cloud protection…
But note if you turn off Windows Defender in such a way you will encounter two moments:
- the protection will resume after you reboot your PC;
- you will immediately start receiving constant notifications like:
Turn on virus protection:
Spyware and unwanted software protection disabled:
We advise to turn off Windows Defender using Group Policy. This will completely disable the app and you won’t be bothered by WIndows Defender notifications any more.
How to completely turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10 (recommended)
Create a new text file:
Open it in notepad.
Copy and paste this code to the file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender] "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection] "DisableBehaviorMonitoring"=dword:00000001 "DisableOnAccessProtection"=dword:00000001 "DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"=dword:00000001
Reboot your PC to take effect.
Download reg files to quickly turn on and off Windows Defender in Windows 10
Here is Windows Defender turn OFF and ON containing two registry tweaks:
- Tweak to completely turn off Windows Defender using Group Policy
- Tweak to turn on the Defender.
Please do not forget to reboot your PC after applying any of these tweaks.