Live ID is a Microsoft Service that allows
What is Primary Alias in Microsoft Account
Primary Alias is an e-mail designed for account recovery and sending sensitive information of your Microsoft Account (Live ID). It is also displayed on your devices when you log in using your Live ID. ActualIy, it is not clear for what purpose Microsoft calls it “alias” instead of “alternate email” except to confuse users.
How to change Email in Microsoft Account
Follow the steps below to change the primary Email:
- Go to login.live.com.
- Log in to your Microsoft Account by typing your current credentials: email and password:
- When signed in click Your info.
- Then click Manage how you sign in to Microsoft:
- Verify your identity with a security code (if you have 2-step authentication enabled):
- In the Account alias area click Add email:
- Select Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias.
- Type new email address that you want to use a primary one.
- Click Add Alias:
- Now you will see two email addresses. Click the Make primary link near the newly added email address:
- Verify your new email by clicking the link in the message:
How to delete your old email from Microsoft account
Now you can delete the old email if you wish.
- Log in to your Microsoft Account.
- Click Your info.
- Click Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.
- In the Account aliases section click the Remove link near the email you wish to remove from your Microsoft Account:
- Confirm by clicking Remove: The old email has been removed: If you deleted your old email from Microsoft account, do not forget to log in using the new one.
What happens if I remove @hotmail.com email from Microsoft Account Aliases?
After you remove your @hotmail.com email from “Aliases”:
- you won’t be able to sign in to Live ID using your old email (even to Outlook Mail regardless your @hotmail.com mailbox is active):
- you may continue using your old mailbox at hotmail.com. All you need is log in to your hotmail using your new Email that you made your primary Alias.
- from now on you may send letters from both mailboxes using your Outlook Mail interface:
If you have any additions on changing email in Microsoft Account write a comment, please.