What is Mobile Hotspot on Android
Mobile Hotspot is a feature that allows you to use your Android phone as a router and distribute your mobile Internet via Wi-Fi to other devices: tablet, laptop, another phone, etc. In Mobile Hotspot mode your mobile data acts like the WAN port of a router and your Wi-Fi interface – as LAN ports. Here is how to set up a mobile hotspot on Android 7 Nougat and use your Android phone as a router.
Note! If Wi-Fi is on when you turn on Mobile hotspot it will turn off automatically. Because Android cannot receive and redistribute Internet via WiFi at the same time.
How to set up a Mobile Hotspot on Android 7 Nougat
- Go to Settings:
- Tap More in the Wireless & networks section:
- Select Tethering & portable hotspot:
- Here you can configure your Mobile Hotspot. You don’t have to turn it on now. First, tap on Set up Wi-Fi hotspot:
- Specify a network name and password for your mobile hotspot. And don’t forget to tap SAVE afterwards to apply changes:
- Now it’s time to turn on Portable Wi-Fi hotspot:
How to turn off the mobile hotspot on Android 7
To disable your mobile hotspot you may
- either head to Settings > Wireless & Networks > More > Tethering and portable hotspot and tap the toggle.
- or click the Hotspot toggle in the Quick Settings panel: