From this article you will know:
- What is the difference between public and private networks in Windows 10;
- How to make a wifi network private;
- How to change a public wired network to private one.
What is the difference between public and private networks in Windows 10
Public network is a profile for unfamiliar and potentially dangerous networks. It is designed to be used in hotels, restaurants, etc. When the network is marked as public your PC is protected and connot be discovered by other devices on the network. Thus it is much harder for hackers to gain access to your PC and steal your information.
Private network is another network profile designed for your home or small office networks that are well-protected and where you trust all devices. In private networks your PC can be discovered by other devices: desktops, laptops, tablets, etc.
How to change public network to private
How to make a wifi network private in Windows 10
Let’s say you have a public wireless network but you trust it enough to make it private:
Follow the steps:
- Click on network icon in the Taskbar.
- Connect to the network.
- Click on your network name.
- Select Properties:
- Turn on Make this PC discoverable:
Once you switched the selector On you change public network to private:
How to make a wifi network private in Windows 10 when connecting to the new wireless network
When you connect to the new Wi-Fi network, you are asked “Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?” Click Yes and your wireless network will be treated as Private one:
How to change public wired network to private in Windows 10
Follow these steps to change your Public ethernet network to private:
- Click on the network icon in the Taskbar.
- Click on your wired network name (it can be called whatever you like: “dlink”, “941nd”, or exactly like your wireless network, etc):
- Click on your wired network name once again – now in the Settings – Ethernet window :
- Turn on the PC network discovery: